I woke up the other night to feed Mr. B and was covered in sweat thanks to a combination of nursing momma hormones and the sweatpants I wore to bed. DISGUSTING!!! My first thing I thought when I woke up was "swoobies", and that put a smile on my face. You see, it reminded me of some my favorite people that I used to work with.
The office building, like most large office/medical buildings has a challenging time regulating temperature. We have worked hard over the years to find the right temperature, but have been given many different reasons for why it's never right - remodeling, people messing with thermostats, etc. One half of our office is lined with windows in the rooms, we refer to it as the "light side", the other half is the "dark side". Well, of course, the light side gets quite warm with the afternoon sun shining down on those windows. There was one particular week, where we were all so very warm regardless of being on either the light or dark side. Two of the men we work with came out of the room declaring that they had swass. As not everyone was familiar with that term/acronym, it was described with the level of seriousness that it commanded. We then coined the term "swoobies" for those of us women who were pelted with all of the same heat. Lots of laughter occurred as we all worked as a team to make sure that our patients were comfortable and that they all received the best care possible.
We all loved what we did and loved who we worked with. The care we provided was a reflection of this. Everyone made a choice that day to be happy, to enjoy life, despite the uncomfortable temperatures in our office. While I no longer work with all of the people that reminded me of this story, I hope to always work in an environment full of people who believe in working and playing hard as a team, people who chose to be happy.
No comments:
Post a Comment